This week’s word of the week is amanuensis. I don’t know where I saw it, but I wrote it down on a note that I found in my purse. But now that I look it up, I like it!
Definition of AMANUENSIS
Examples of AMANUENSIS
- <thanks to the efforts of his dutiful amanuensis, copies of most of the author’s letters and unpublished manuscripts have been preserved>
Origin of AMANUENSIS
Is amanuenses a scrabble word? Yes!
Definition of Amanuenses
- n. – Someone skilled in the transcription of speech (especially dictation)
Amanuenses is worth 12 points in Scrabble, and 16 points in Words with Friends
There are 10 letters in amanuenses: A A E E M N N S S U
A couple of the sources say literary or artistic assistant, but most just say someone who transcribes or takes dictation, a secretary. I like the idea of an artistic assistant. I wonder what kinds of things an artistic amanuensis would do for me? Hmmm….I think I have a list here somewhere. 🙂
- Monday word of the week – Perfidious (lifeofdeb.wordpress.com)
- Monday word of the week – exiguous (lifeofdeb.wordpress.com)
- Monday word of the week – judder (lifeofdeb.wordpress.com)